[VIDEO] “Black Mold” refers to stachybotrys chartarum (Stachy). Stachy is somewhat common in warm, humid environments – much less common where it is cooler and/or dryer. Hundreds of different molds (and mildews) are “black.” It is impossible to identify molds by “looking at them.” It takes a laboratory to determine the specific species.
Mold has been been associated with many aliments. You should consult with your doctor or your medical team if you are ill or have adverse symptoms.
The only way to be able to name mold is to have a sample tested at a qualified laboratory.
Yes. ANY moisture from any source inside of your home can cause mold. It is important to periodically check your home for leaks. If you notice moisture or water where it does not belong check it out right away.
[VIDEO] Both mold and mildew are part of the “fungal” group of organisms. They both produce spores, and mycotoxins and allergyns. They are, obviously, very similar. IN GENERAL: mildew grows on living organisms: the mildew on flowers, powdery mildew on grass, etc. Most mold growth is on things that used to be alive. Mold grows on wood and paper and cardboard and wool and silk and leather, etc. Mildew grown on trees, shrubs and many living plants. What you see growing inside your home is probably some type of mold. All molds must have something organic on which to grow. When you see mold growing on something that is not organic (concrete, plastic, glass) then it is actually growing on the DIRT that is on those materials. Dirt contains enough organic material to support mold growth.
Every Insurance policy is different. You should contact your broker/agent or your insurance company to determine the amount of coverage that you have.
Mold has been been associated with many ailments. You should consult with your doctor or your medical team if you are ill or have adverse sypmtoms.
It is important to remove the water as quickly as possible and to dry all affected materials. This includes under cabinets, under walls in adjacent rooms, the subfloor, lower rooms where the water might have gone. Dehumidifiers and air movers can be used to dry these materials.
[VIDEO] The time is directly related to the amount of mold and where it is growing. Jobs can take anywhere from 4 hours to 5 days, or longer. Every situation is different!
There are a multitude of different molds that can be found in a home. When you discover mold the “name” of the mold is much less significant than the fact that you have growing mold at all. All mold produce allergyns and mycotoxins; some very weak, some quite potent.
You should contact an attorney if you have such concerns and your landlord does not respond as you believe he/she should.
The symptoms normally resemble “allergies:” itchy eyes, sneezing, coughing, etc. However, different molds will affect different people in different ways. If you believe you might be suffering from exposure to mold you should contact your doctor and be sure to share this concern.
The biggest step is to be sure the bathroom has adequate ventilation. It is important to have a properly installed exhaust fan.
[VIDEO] Removing mold efficiently is harder than most people think. First, you have to wear protective clothing to reduce exposure to mold. Then, you need to isolate the mold, so that it doesn’t spread to other rooms. After that, fix the water problem and dry the affected surface. To clean up mold, scrub a mixture of household detergent and water on the surface (don’t use bleach).
Mold can take on a variety of colors – anywhere from dark black to a lighter green or anything in between. Sometimes it’s very difficult to determine if what is in your home is actually mold, so in some cases, we recommend using an industrial hygienist to test for mold before hiring a mold remediation company. An industrial hygienist can find the hidden mold behind walls or ceilings.
[VIDEO] Mold can begin to grow within 24 to 48 hours after water damage and it can spread quickly, especially when it is disrupted. Rubbing it or spraying air against it can cause the mold spores to break off into the air, potentially causing illnesses.
[VIDEO] Individual policies will vary, so you should ask your insurance agent and/or adjuster if you’re eligible for coverage.
Mold releases microscopic mold spores into the air. Since mold spores are airborne, all homes have mold spores in them, some more than others. Mold grows in homes because almost all homes meet the requirements of mold growth: moisture, nutrients (such as cellulose), and time.
Mold commonly grows in areas that are prone to moisture, such as the basement and bathroom. However, mold can also grow in hidden areas of the home, such as behind walls, under the floor, in the air conditioning system, in the crawl space or in the attic.
Although all homes have mold spores in them, larger patches of mold growth can cause health issues and structural damage. Signs of mold in homes include a musty odor and the visible black or white specks in areas of your home that have a water problem.
If you suspect that there is mold growing in your home, you don’t have to know which type of mold it is, but you should have it removed as soon as possible. It is not necessary to test for mold if you already notice the signs of mold growth in your home. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), sampling and culturing are not reliable in determining your health risk.
Preventing mold requires fixing moisture problems in your home. Repair leaks in the walls, roof, gutters, and plumbing pipes, keep indoor humidity at 30-50% by using a dehumidifier, ventilate appliances that generate moisture, and keep the gutter system clean.
Yes, you can. But before occupying it, you should have the mold removed. If the mold is visible, then a mold remediation company like PuroClean can remove it. If it isn’t visible, but you suspect it might be present, you should have it checked out by an industrial hygienist to determine where the mold is and how much is present.
Mold is very tricky—and when attempting to remove it yourself, you can disrupt it and make it worse. A professional mold remediation company is able to remove it correctly, adhering to the IICRC mold removal guidelines for proper mold remediation. They will also be able to apply measures to prevent regrowth.
Yes! Black mold not only causes structural damage to buildings, exposure to black mold can cause numerous respiratory, neurological, and other health issues.
Mold can grow within 24 to 48 hours after water damage.
Not usually. Mold will not grow without a lot of moisture, so keeping your concrete floors clean and dry should prevent mold growth.
The key to preventing mold growth is moisture control. There are many ways to achieve this including repairing leaks in your home—from walls, roof, gutters, plumbing pipes, etc., keeping indoor humidity at about 30-50%, ventilating appliances that generate moisture, getting your HVAC system inspected annually, cleaning gutters, and using materials such as mold-resistant paint.
Although it is always better to hire a certified mold removal company, you might be able to remove small patches of mold (less than 10 square feet) yourself . When you’re not sure how to remove mold or if the infested area is larger than 10 square feet, contact a qualified professional.
Mold-sensitive individuals may exhibit allergy symptoms, such as sneezing, runny or stuffy nose, coughing, itchy eyes, wheezing, and skin irritation. Mold exposure can also trigger asthmatic symptoms that include coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, and chest tightness. Mold can also cause irritant reactions, which are similar to those of an allergic reaction.
If there is mold growing in your home, you can be exposed to it. When mold is disturbed, it releases spores into the indoor air that you breathe. Other forms of exposure include touching the mold itself or moldy items, eating moldy food, and hand-to-mouth contact.
Mold is a type of fungus that lives almost everywhere there is moisture, oxygen, and organic matter. Mold plays an important role in nature as it helps decompose organic material. However, mold found indoors can cause health problems, as well as structural problems to buildings.