They say, “if you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen,” but we have a better idea: avoid fires in the kitchen and enjoy cooking. Most home fires start in the kitchen, more specifically, the stovetop and oven. Fortunately, you can easily prevent cooking fires if you exercise caution and remain vigilant every time you turn on the stove or oven.
Follow These Guidelines To Keep Your Kitchen Safe From Fires
- When purchasing a stove or oven, make sure they have the label of an independent testing laboratory.
- If possible, register your oven online to allow the manufacturer to contact you about potential dangers that come up with the model you purchased.
- Consider calling a professional to install your new gas or electric oven to ensure that the oven and hood are connected safely.
- If you have children living in your home, consider installing safety devices such as stove locking straps, stove safety guards, and stove knob stops.
- Avoid using the stove or oven if you have been consuming alcohol. Discourage those who have consumed alcohol to use the stove or oven.
- Keep your stovetop and oven clean. Grease and food particles can start a fire that spreads quickly.
- Always supervise the stove when boiling, frying, grilling, or broiling food.
- When cooking, make sure to roll up your sleeves, tie back long hair and wear non-slip footwear.
- Before using the oven, make sure it doesn’t smell of gas when opening it. If it does, open a window and call the manufacturer or an oven repair contractor.
- Don’t store anything in the oven, and make sure it’s empty before using it.
- When using the stovetop, use the burners on the back, but be sure the pot is not too small or big for the burner.
- Have a fire extinguisher or baking soda in the kitchen to stop accidental fires quickly. Put metal lids on top of pots that caught fire.
- WARNING: never pour water over a grease fire. This makes flaming oil spread rapidly. Use a fire extinguisher, baking soda, salt, or a wet rag.
Call PuroClean Broomfield For Fire and Smoke Restoration Services
Be sure to read up more on general kitchen fire safety. Although the kitchen is where most home fires start, the wiring and appliances in your home can also cause a fire. For professional fire, water, and mold restoration services, contact PuroClean Broomfield at (720)773-3400.