Obstructed sewer lines can release sewage; a thick, dark substance that forms. Sewage water is a dangerous health hazard and unsanitary; containing contaminants like pathogens, viruses and bacteria. These dangerous contaminants may present risks of serious illness if animals or humans suffer exposure. Timely repair is key if you have sewage backup anywhere in your home or business . Quickly repairing this will prevent the hazardous waste water from lingering in occupied areas. To prevent a hazardous condition occurring in your home or business, knowing what causes the sewer incidents could be extremely helpful. We’ve created a list of items to aid in preventing and handling home or business sewage backups:
Our process for cleaning and remediation of Category 3 water, aka sewer and contaminated water backup clean up following the IICRC industry standards, is as follows:
1. To ensure the safety of all occupants and workers by limiting jobsite access to restoration and cleaning personnel only to help stop any health related situations.
2. Assessment of the area and Health and Safety surveys.
3. Be thorough that all restoration workers are equipped with the proper personal protection equipment (PPE). This includes but is not limited to:
4. Put into place established engineering controls, critical barriers, to alleviate cross-contamination.
5. Stopping all potential hazards and safety risks if possible.
6. Removal of bulk water, dirt, and contaminates.
7. Eradication and disposal of all contaminated porous and semi-porous items that is not restorable – which can be but is not limited to:
8. Implement cleaning procedures and use of EPA registered biocides and antimicrobials
9. Actual cleaning of all remaining structures
10. A third-party Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) is recommended to perform clearance testing, to ensure the building is returned to a pre-loss condition for health and safety.
11. All materials affected by excess waters are to be dried and returned to pre-loss dry condition
12. All equipment used on the project to be cleaned after restoration completion
13. All demo materials removed from the building
Reach out to the PuroClean specialists for sewage abatement, cleaning and remediation. Whether it’s from a stopped up toilet, flood waters or sewage drain backups to manage the problem for your home or business. PuroClean uses the newest, state-of-the-art equipment and cleansing tools to completely and effectively clean and restore all affected objects and structures.
We have proved time after time that our methods and our specialists are top quality, efficient, and work with care and compassion for all involved. PuroClean is your ideal damage restoration and cleaning group and we pledge to do whatever needs to be done to save and restore all homes and businesses in the communities we serve.
*Not all PuroClean offices offer sewage cleanup and sanitation cleaning services.
When a biohazard occurs, professionals are needed to clean and disinfect as improper treatment can spread contamination and lead to illness or life-threatening conditions. [...]
Most homeowners insurance will cover crime scene (biohazard) cleanup. We recommend that you consult your insurance agent/carrier to find out if you can make a claim for your particular circumstance. [...]
As of March 17, 2020, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) does not have information specifically regarding how pregnant women are reacting to COVID-19 exposure. However, it should be noted [...]
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) requests that we all do our part to slow the spread of the coronavirus. We can do this by avoiding close contact [...]
Bloodborne pathogens (BBPs), as defined by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), means pathogenic microorganisms that are present in human blood and can cause disease in humans. These pathogens [...]