As the holiday season approaches, many pet owners can’t wait to involve their furry companions in all the festive fun. However, it’s important to remember pet safety tips, as the holiday traditions can pose serious risks to our pets if we’re not careful. But fear not! With these simple pet safety tips, owners can take comfort in knowing that their furry friends can safely join in on all the holiday cheer.
Pet Safety Tips to Know This Holiday Season
- Clean up the fallen Christmas tree needles regularly, as they can be very sharp and easily get stuck in your pet’s paws, fur, or throat.
- Securely anchor your Christmas tree so it doesn’t tip and fall, causing possible injury to your pet. Change the tree water regularly, as stagnant water is a breeding ground for bacteria, and your pet could experience nausea or diarrhea should they drink it.
- Opt for just-as-jolly artificial plants made from silk or plastic, or choose a pet-safe bouquet, as mistletoe, lilies, poinsettias, and hibiscus can be poisonous to pets.
- Protect electric cords and tree lights so your pets can’t chew them.
- Use appropriate candle holders placed on a stable surface. Don’t leave lit candles unattended. Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock burning candles over.
- Avoid using tinsel. If an animal swallows tinsel, it can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, and dehydration. Surgery might be required to remove it.
- Remove any wrapping paper off the floor to avoid your pet chewing it or getting suffocated by it.
- Place unattended alcoholic drinks where pets cannot get to them. If ingested, your pet could become ill and may even go into a coma, possibly resulting in death from respiratory failure.
- If you have guests over, give your pet their own quiet space to escape, with fresh water and a place to snuggle. Shy pups and cats might want to hide under furniture, in their carrier, or in a separate room away from the commotion.
- Finally, remember that pets are for life, so never give pets as surprise gifts. If someone is considering getting a new pet, give the new prospective owner a variety of dog toys, food, or books on dog care.
Need Property Damage Restoration This Holiday Season? Contact PuroClean of Burlington!
The holidays are the time to come together with loved ones and create memories that will last a lifetime. Unfortunately, unexpected incidents like property damage can dim the joy. Fortunately, PuroClean of Burlington is here to help! We understand that the restoration process can be overwhelming, so our highly trained professionals are ready to handle any property damage in Burlington. Don’t let property damage ruin your holiday cheer; call PuroClean of Burlington today and let us take care of the rest.