If you’re looking for ways to boost your home’s value, whether it’s on the market or not, you may think
PuroClean Disaster Response Services24/7 Emergency Response (919) 481-4600
Air pollution occurs not only outside, but also inside our homes. In fact, indoor air can be 2 to 5 times more polluted than outdoor air. What’s more, the Environmental Protection Agency estimates that we spend 90% of our time indoors, which means the quality of indoor air should never be ignored. Here is a list of tips you can follow to improve the air quality in your home:
1. Put large floor mats at every door to trap the amount of dirt, lead and other chemicals brought in from the outside.
2. Vacuum your carpets at least twice a week using a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter to reduce the amount of dust mites, lead and other toxins.
3. Clean your floors with microfiber mops and plain water to capture the dust and allergens that vacuuming leaves behind.
4. Don’t smoke in your home and stay away from secondhand smoke. Ask smokers to take it outside.
5. Avoid strong-smelling cleaning products that can irritate the respiratory system. Use safer products like regular soap, vinegar or baking soda.
6. Prevent mold growth by controlling moisture levels. Install a fan in your bathroom and use a dehumidifier to keep humidity at 40% throughout the house.
7. Avoid products that contain formaldehyde, such as high-VOC paints and certain wood furniture products.
8. Ventilate using HEPA air filters to cut down on the toxins that pollute your home.
9. Have a professional company clean your duct system if you suspect it contains mold, debris or other contaminants and after your home has been remodeled.
10. Test for Radon – the lethal gas that forms in the soil and rock underneath the foundation.
Even if we are not allergic or suffer from respiratory diseases, polluted indoor air can endanger our health after years of repeated exposure. Take action now and keep the air in your home as fresh as you can. For professional odor removal, as well as water, fire or mold remediation and restoration services, call your local PuroClean office. Some of our offices also offer professional duct cleaning services.