Monoammonium phosphate, ABC Dry Chemical, ABE Powder, tri-class, or multi-purpose dry chemical is a dry chemical extinguishing agent used on class A, class B, and class C fires. It uses a specially fluidized and siliconized monoammonium phosphate powder. From Quora: While fire extinguisher powder is non-toxic, it is not entirely safe. The chemicals used are considered appropriate for home use, but you should take precautions to avoid touching or inhaling too much of the powder. The chemicals can irritate the skin, so use gloves and avoid inhaling by using a dust mask if there is a need to clean the place where the fire occurs. Inhalation is one of the biggest dangers of fire extinguisher powder. It is very irritating to mucous membranes and may cause difficulties with breathing if inhaled in large enough quantities.
You can use sand or dirt to put out small fires. Never use water on an oil fire because water will evaporate and carry burning grease particles. Never use water on an electrical fire because water will conduct electricity and deliver a potentially deadly shock. Before attempting to put out an electrical fire, dry your hands and shut off the breaker if it’s not too close to the fire. Baking soda makes an effective extinguishing agent for grease fires. For small grease fires, use a metal pot lid to cover any remaining grease that hasn’t caught fire. Never use glass, glass will explode into dangerous fragments if it gets too hot. Also, never try to move a burning object outside before extinguishing the fire, or you risk spreading the fire.
[VIDEO] Flammable liquids and gases, electrical fires, combustible metals, and kitchen fires involving cooking oils and fats.
[VIDEO] To remove soot and smoke from walls, furniture and floors, use a mild soap or detergent or mix together 4 to 6 tbsp. tri-sodium phosphate and 1 cup household cleaner or chlorine bleach to every gallon of warm water. Wear rubber gloves. Be sure to rinse surfaces with clear warm water and dry thoroughly.
[VIDEO] Fires are mainly caused from dried leaves, faulty electrical wiring or equipment, unattended stoves and ovens, unattended candles, children playing with fire, flammable liquids, and careless smoking.
[VIDEO] Yes, you will be responsible for your deductible. If the loss is a covered claim, your insurance will pay any covered invoices up to your policy limit minus your deductible.
Your policy limit is the amount of money available to cover your claim.
Yes. Exposure to any smoke can irritate the eyes and cause breathing and other health issues. With a modern fire many synthetic materials will be burnt – they produce hazardous and toxic materials that should be cleaned by trained professionals.
[VIDEO] Yes, but it is recommended that the work be done by professionals. The residue is an irritant and can cause discomfort and/or breathing problems; and can irritate the skin.
[VIDEO] It depends on the specific nature of the fire. The BEST plan is to have at least 1 “ABC” fire extinguisher in your home. They are rated for ever type of fire. If you know the fire does not involve electricity or grease (in a kitchen) or another type of fuel – then water is fine. If you have any doubt about your ability to put out a fire very quickly, the best course of action is to leave the home with all of your family and to call the fire department – from OUTSIDE of the home.
[VIDEO] Call PuroClean to come to your home to help do an assessment of the extent of the damage! They can begin remediation efforts immediately – which is the best way to minimize the damage of reduce the costs of the event. Even a “small” fire results in smoke/soot/odor throughout the home.
[VIDEO] Legally, only a licensed inspector like a structural engineer or industrial hygienist can determine the safety of a building. Besides, the risk of checking the fire damage yourself is too great. Call a professional.
[VIDEO] Most restoration companies also provide board-up services to prevent possible theft. A proper board-up should include using 3/8″ plywood with 2x4s bolted from inside the dwelling over windows. The front door should have a secure lock.
[VIDEO] It depends on your specific policy. Call your insurance agent and/or adjuster to find out if the loss is covered in your policy.
[VIDEO] This depends on the degree of the damage, your home’s layout, and your comfort level. As an alternate plan, talk with your insurance agent about off-site housing and staying at a hotel – these might be covered by your policy.
[VIDEO] No! Water conducts electricity and can deliver a potentially deadly electric shock. If the fire is from an appliance and you can safely unplug it, go ahead. You can also use a heavy blanket to cut off its oxygen supply and smother it, or you can use a fire extinguisher designed for a Class C fire.
[VIDEO] Clean the lint filter before and after each load of laundry. Don’t forget to clean the back of the dryer where lint can build up. Clean lint out of the vent pipe every three months. Have your dryer cleaned regularly by a professional, especially if it is taking longer than normal for clothes to dry.
PuroClean Water, Fire, and Mold Experts strives to remove the odor so that when you return to your home, both the structure and your contents have no residual odor.
It is recommended that you keep an inventory list of items that were not able to be saved in your fire/ smoke damage. For some people this can be a very overwhelming and time consuming process. PuroClean Water, Fire, and Mold Experts can help you with this documentation task. PuroClean Water, Fire, and Mold Experts can help build the list of salvageable and non-salvageable items to to assist with the claim.
After a fire it is recommended that you consider keeping important personal items with you if you are displaced from the home due it being unlivable. Such items to consider would be; jewelry, fire arms, medications, cash/ checkbooks, and any personal documents; if any of these items are able to be saved.
This depends on the extent of the fire and smoke damage. Some factors to consider are if the home is safe to live in due to structural damage, if the electric or utilities are affected, and the extent of the fire damages. The first and foremost is to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the client. Your insurance company and PuroClean Water Fire, and Mold Experts are able to help determine your safety in these factors.
Fire and smoke Damage is very tricky to the untrained person, this is where the Fire Department, Insurance Company, and PuroClean Water, Fire, and Mold Experts have expertise to assess damages. The cleanup process can vary depending on the severity of the fire and smoke damage. PuroClean Water, Fire, and Mold Experts has many variables to assess the damage and report back to the insurance company. Both companies work hand in hand to make sure the structure of your home and your contents are safe.
In most losses, cleaning the soot and smoke is the toughest part. Moreover, even small fires can cause major damage within minutes and leave lingering odors if not cleaned up properly. If you don’t act within a day or two of the fire, soot and smoke can leave permanent damage. Restoration professionals have the tools and know-how to restore your home as fast as possible and mitigate the loss.
The length of time varies on the extent of the damage. Additionally, local authorities and your insurance agent will also want to investigate the damage before the restoration company can start the cleanup.
Water can lead to more damage such as mold growth. Reputable restoration companies also extract the water from the damaged area as part of the fire restoration procedure.
Food safety after a fire is a huge issue, so you should discard non-perishable food exposed to heat, smoke, and firefighting chemicals, as well as perishable food left at room temperature for too long. However, you might be able to salvage refrigerated and frozen food after a fire. You should also throw out medicines, cosmetics, and burned clothing.Inventory non-restorable items to support your claims. Be sure to include the name, cost, and the year each item was purchased. Photos documenting the loss are great too.
Circuit breaker keeps tripping, persisting burnt smell with no identifiable source, several discolored or charred outlets and switches, or you have old or outdated wiring.
STOP! Moving or running feeds air to the flames and worsens the fire. DROP to the floor—if you stand up, the fire can burn your face. ROLL slowly on the floor or ground in a rug or blanket if you can. COOL off as soon as possible with water for first and second-degree burns.
Water can lead to more damage such as mold growth. Reputable restoration companies also extract the water from the damaged area as part of the fire restoration job.
Legally, only a licensed inspector like a structural engineer or industrial hygienist can determine the safety of a building. Besides, the risk of checking the fire damage yourself is too great. Call a professional.
Most restoration companies also provide board-up services to prevent possible theft. A proper board-up should include using 3/8″ plywood with 2x4s bolted from inside the dwelling over windows. The front door should have a secure lock.