Dishwasher fires are not the most common appliance-related fires. However, fires can still occur due to electrical problems, faulty components, or if the machine was not used and maintained properly. The main cause of fires in these appliances is moisture contacting the wires, so make sure internal components don’t leak, and perform regular checks at least once a year.
Avoid Fires By Following These Dishwasher Safety Tips
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions manual that includes safety notices and usage tips.
- Check the manufacturer’s website for updates on safety information about your unit.
- Register your unit on the manufacturer’s website so that you receive notifications if the product is recalled.
- Make sure the dishwasher is always supervised when in use.
- Check and repair broken components regularly. Be sure to check the plastic components that release the detergent on the interior of the door, as they are the most likely to cause water to leak over the machine’s internal wires, resulting in a fire.
- Have a professional inspect the dishwasher if you suspect that the machine is malfunctioning.
- Plug your dishwasher into a grounded wall socket. Avoid using extension cords as a permanent solution to power any appliance. Make sure the outlet can handle the electric load required by your unit.
- Inspect the power cord regularly. Repair or replace frayed power cords. Avoid running electric cords under carpeting, where they can be easily damaged.
- Clean and maintain your dishwasher to prolong its life and protect its components.
- Install a working smoke alarm in the room where you keep the dishwasher. If you keep it in the kitchen, install a smoke alarm designed for kitchens which is not triggered by normal cooking.
- Keep a fire extinguisher on every level of your home and one in the kitchen.
Contact Your Local PuroClean Office For Fire Restoration Services
To learn more about the causes of electrical fires in homes, click here. You can find home electrical safety tips in this article. For professional fire restoration services, contact your local PuroClean office.