We all know that mold exposure isn’t conducive to a healthy indoor environment. And while everyone reacts to mold differently— some people may experience no symptoms at all—symptoms typically include the likes of the common cold, dizziness and headaches.
But now Rutgers researchers have potentially discovered a far more serious side effect of mold exposure. Specifically, through extensive testing with fruit flies, university researchers have discovered that a certain chemical emitted by mold leads to Parkinson’s disease-like symptoms.
While you can see the full report in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, here’s the scope of the research in a nutshell:
The study exposed fruit flies to the various chemicals emitted by mold at the approximate level a human would be exposed to in a building.
Certain molds emit a “mushroom vapor” type of chemical, which the researchers found to have an immediate impact on the behavior of the fruit flies. Symptoms included tremors, slow gait and imbalance—all of which are common with Parkinson’s disease.
Further studies indicate that the mushroom vapor chemical is known to block genes that regulate dopamine, which is the chemical that allows nerve cells to communicate.
So while mold growth in the home is a serious condition that should be taken care of immediately, its impact on human health is potentially far greater than just cold symptoms and headaches. That’s why it’s important that mold remediation is done correctly and quickly, and in accordance to industry standards. For more information, contact PuroClean today.