Gasoline Safety Tips
Gasoline is an essential part of everyday life, but failing to use it carefully can lead to injuries, fires, or other disasters. Due to its flammable nature, you should use caution when handling it and store it only in safe, approved containers. The following tips will help you and your family stay safe around gasoline:
Steps You Should Take To Operate Gasoline Safely
- Store it in a container (of 5 gallons or less) designed for that purpose. Seal the containers tightly and handle them carefully to avoid spills.
- Always handle gasoline outdoors, in a ventilated area. When filling a container, place it on the ground and be careful not to spill it.
- Clean up minor spills immediately with rags, paper, or sawdust, then discard the clean-up materials in a safe container. Never dispose of the clean-up materials into toilets, drains, sewers, or garbage disposals.
- For larger spills, ask your local government or hazardous waste disposal center about the safest way to dispose of spilled gasoline.
- Never store it in non-reusable plastic containers or glass containers.
- Keep the containers at room temperature, if possible. Don’t fill containers; this will allow it to expand if the temperature is high.
- Keep storage tanks outside the home, in a detached garage or lawn shed.
- Store it at a safe distance (at least 50 feet) from heat sources, such as the sun, space heater, electrical generator, furnace, or other devices.
- Allow machinery, such as a lawnmower or electrical generator, to cool off before refueling.
- Use it only as a motor fuel. Never use it as a cleaning agent or as fuel for kerosene heaters or lamps. Do not mix it with kerosene or diesel.
- Never smoke or ignite flames when handling gasoline.
- Please do not allow children to handle gasoline; keep it out of their reach and sight.
Call Your Local PuroClean Office For Disaster Restoration Services
Gasoline is one type of fuel that electrical generators use. Care should always be taken when operating generators and other machinery. For professional fire, water, and mold restoration services, contact your local PuroClean office.