It’s that time of year again, where we celebrate with a Christmas tree. Christmas tree fires are uncommon but the damage but the damage from one can be severe. Half of the reported Christmas tree fires are caused by electrical malfunctions and heat sources such as fireplaces and space heaters. Follow these tips to prevent a Christmas tree fire in your home:
If you’re using a real Christmas tree, cut 2 inches from the base of the trunk before placing in the stand. This allows the tree to better absorb water.
Water the tree at a safe distance away from any heat source, such as radiators, fireplaces, lights or candles.
Water the tree daily to make sure it stays hydrated. If your tree is about 6 feet tall, add 1 gallon of water to the tree stand every day.
Ensure the tree is not blocking exits or footpaths so it won’t get knocked over.
To decorate the tree, use only lights that are rated for indoor use. Also, check for the label of an independent testing laboratory, such as Underwriters’ Laboratory (UL).
Before using lights, ensure there are no frayed wires, broken bulbs or cords, cracked sockets or loose bulb connections.
Don’t overload electrical outlets or extension cords, Plug lights into different circuits around your home.
Turn off the Christmas lights when going to bed or leaving home.
Never use burning candles to decorate a tree. Use battery-operated, flameless LED candles instead.
After Christmas, or when the real tree dries out and starts dropping needled, discard it. Dry trees are a fire hazard, so don’t keep your in the home or garage. Find a recycling program in your community and dispose of sooner rather than later.
PuroClean is a leading commercial and residential restoration franchising company. Founded in 2001, the company offers fire and water cleanup and restoration services, mold mitigation and remediation, and biohazard cleanup and removal throughout the United States and Canada through its franchise network of 240 offices.