Cincinnati and Dayton are home to some of the largest manufacturers of chemicals and home cleaners. From P&G to Nease Co. Ohio can boast a large output of both. Have […]
Household Chemicals Part Two
Last week we talked about household chemicals and the dangers they pose to your family. We covered laundry room and kitchen chemicals; we will expand on that today!
Numbers to Save in Your Phone:
Cincinnati Poison Center- 513-636-5111
Dayton Poison Center- 937-222-2227
Central Ohio Poison Center- 800-222-1222
Chemicals Found in the Bathroom
Toilet bowl cleaners — Toilet cleaners contain sodium hypochlorite or hydrochloric acid or bleach. Most disinfectant cleaners are very irritating to your eyes and skin and will burn your throat.
Mold and mildew removers — Chlorine and alkyl ammonium chlorides are the common fungicide chemicals found in mold and mildew removers. Cleaners with mold and mildew removers may cause breathing problems and, if swallowed, can burn your throat.
Drain cleaners — Lye and sulfuric acid are the main ingredients used to unclog drains, with lye being the same highly-toxic ingredient in oven cleaners. Sulfuric acid irritates the skin and eyes and can damage the kidneys, liver, and digestive tract. Together, these chemicals produce dangerous fumes, can cause skin burns and can cause blindness if they come in contact with your eyes, and it can be fatal if swallowed.
Chemicals Found in the Garage
Antifreeze — This should NEVER be ingested. Ethylene glycol, the main hazardous ingredient of antifreeze, is extremely poisonous and can cause severe damage to the brain, heart, and kidneys.
Motor oil — Used oil can become saturated with wastes burnt off from an automobile engine. This oil contains chemicals that can cause nerve and kidney damage and is suspected of causing cancer.
Latex paint — Exercise caution: If ingested, water-soluble latex paints will not be fatal in small quantities; however, some latex paints emit formaldehyde when drying, which can give you a headache and irritate your eyes, nose, and throat.
Oil-based paint — Oil-based paint can irritate the skin and eyes because they contain organic solvents. Similar to latex paints, if oil-based paint fumes are inhaled, headaches, nausea, dizziness, and fatigue can result. Long-term effects include kidney, liver, and blood problems.
If your clients require chemical cleanup services, recommend PuroClean! PuroClean provides a full range of biohazard removal services, including those of chemical hazards. Our technicians use state-of-the art equipment and techniques to remediate the damage effectively and safely. The quality of our remediation services, the speed in which we deliver them, and the compassion we demonstrate throughout the process make PuroClean your ideal damage restoration company.