24/7 Emergency Response (937)401-9700

Moldy Food

Thanksgiving is fast approaching and your fridge may be stocked full of food that you plan to prepare. There is a good chance you will have leftovers for a while too. When deciding if that food is good or not, check for mold. While mold isn’t always dangerous there are some foods you need to watch out for.

What you can’t eat with mold:

  • Casseroles: Throw it out, if you see surface mold on cooked casseroles. With high moisture foods, mold can send filaments deep within food. contaminating a larger amount of the food than is apparent to the eye.
  • Pasta: Leftover pasta has a high moisture content, so chances are the food is more spoiled than it looks.
  • Jams and jellies: Sweet, sugary foods welcome molds, molds spread more easily through these soft foods.
  • Cooked leftover meats and poultry: These leftovers often have a high moisture content, which provides a friendly environment for bacteria and molds. There may also be additional mold under the surface that your don’t see.
  • Soft fruits and veggies: Usually we don’t eat moldy fruits and even a tough rind doesn’t offer as much protection as you may think. Even if you don’t see it, mold can permeate the skin and spread quickly through the fleshy insides.
  • Bread and baked goods: If one slice out of the entire loaf has a little spot of mold, it’s probably fine to use the slices farthest away from the incriminating spot. Porous foods like bread, muffins, cakes, and other baked goods allow easy penetration of molds below the surface throw them out.

What you can eat with mold:

  • Hard salami and dry-cured country hams: These are okay to eat if they are a bit moldy. The white coating around certain hard salamis is actually a dusting of a benign mold which helps cure the salami and preserve from bacteria. It’s normal for dry-cured country hams to develop some surface mold as well. So the ham should be safe as long as you scrub the mold off first.
  • Hard cheese: Keep it. In general it’s okay to cut the mold from hard cheeses, such as cheddar. As long as you remove the mold with about a half-inch to an inch buffer you should be safe.
  • Firm fruits and veggies: A tough vegetable like a carrot can have a little mold but still be edible; mold has penetrating deep into dense food. Trim off about an inch around the mold.
  • Cheeses made with mold: Blue, gorgonzola, stilton brie and camembert cheeses are just some of the cheeses made with mold. If your softer cheeses like brie or camembert grow additional mold, you should throw them away. For harder cheeses like gorgonzola or stilton, you can cut off at least 1 inch around the moldy spot and keep eating it.

Mold isn’t only on foods, if you find a mold or water problem in your home, contact your local PuroClean office to have the professionals take a look. Call us at 937-401-9700 or 513-897-8990 for a free estimate.

Sources: https://www.myrecipes.com/healthy-diet/can-you-eat-moldy-foods





Over 20K

through our franchise network