The beginning of the New Year is quickly approaching and you’ve likely already made plans for the event. Whether you’re celebrating out or not, keep in mind that many accidents typically occur that night due to alcohol consumption and other factors. These guidelines will help you stay safe throughout the festivities:
- If you’re celebrating out, make sure you have a safe way to get back home. If you plan on drinking, decide on a designated driver who will stay sober, or use a cab or ride sharing service. Alternatively, arrange to spend the night at the host’s house or a nearby hotel.
- Avoid driving between 8 PM and 2 AM on New Year’s Eve, even if you haven’t consumed alcohol. These are the most dangerous hours to be on the road. If you do plan on driving in snowy conditions, follow these tips.
- When attending a public party, never go alone. Be aware of your surroundings and have your phone fully charged before going to the party. Stay in constant contact with your friends or family.
- Bring only what you need with you, such as money, credit cards, or a driver’s license. Leave other valuables you normally carry with you at home.
- If you’re drinking, alternate alcohol with water to stay hydrated. Eat high-carbohydrate and high-fat foods to slow the absorption of alcohol into the bloodstream.
- Be careful when opening champagne bottles. Chill the champagne to at least 45°F to make the cork less likely to pop out unexpectedly. Aim the bottle at a 45-degree angle and away from people.
- The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend public displays conducted by trained professionals. WARNING: If you want to use fireworks, proceed with extreme caution. Learn fireworks safety tips here.
- If you have pets, be aware that they can easily get scared of loud noises such as those at parties or made by fireworks. Keep pets inside, in a comfortable room, and make sure all fences and gates are secure. Be sure that your pets have IDs or microchips.
In case you’re throwing a New Year’s Eve party at your home, check out our holiday party safety tips. For professional fire, water, and mold restoration services, contact PuroClean Emergency Services of Dayton, Ohio at 937-401-9700 or Cincinnati, Ohio at 513-897-8990. We are on call 24/7 and have technicians ready to help!