Even though most building codes require that residential roofs support the most significant snowfalls in your area, there is still a risk of roof damage. The main reasons to clear the snow from roofs are to prevent ice dams (which can lead to property damage caused by leaks) and cave-ins. Check out these tips on how to remove snow from a roof.
Follow These Guidelines To Safely and Effectively Remove Snow From a roof
- To prevent huge mounds, remove snow from a roof when the snow reaches a depth of 6 inches.
- Be sure there are at least 2 inches of snow on the roof to avoid significant damage to the roof covering and additional damage.
- If you live in a single-story home, stay on the ground and use a rake with a telescopic handle. For taller homes, use the rake to clear the overhangs.
- Exercise extreme caution to not hit any overhead power lines when raking the roof.
- If using a rake is inefficient, the snow needs to be shoveled by someone on the roof. However, don’t try to tackle this dangerous job by yourself. Hiring a licensed contractor is the safest way to go.
- If you’re determined to shovel the snow yourself, make sure your ladder is stable and use a safety harness on the roof. For sloped roofs, start shoveling at the ridge and move toward the eaves.
- Never use mechanical equipment specialized in snow removal. Using these tools increases the risk of damaging your roof.
- Don’t put salt or salt products on the roof. Although salt is a natural enemy to ice and snow, it can also discolor shingles and kill the vegetation the melted snow falls upon.
- Dispose of the snow in designated areas on the ground, away from walkways. Don’t dump the snow near building exits, ventilation exists, or drain downspouts.
Contact Your Local PuroClean Office For Professional Property Damage Restoration Services
If your home or business is damaged, whether it be from snow, wind, rain, etc. PuroClean is here to help bring it back to its pre-loss condition. Our technicians are trained with the most modern restoration techniques and equipment and are standing by 24/7 to help when you need it most. Call PuroClean Emergency Services of Dayton, Ohio at 937-401-9700 or Cincinnati, Ohio at 513-897-8990.