In a power outage, portable electrical generators will save the food in your refrigerator or power up essential equipment in your home. However, they can also pose safety hazards, as they release carbon monoxide (CO) into the air and produce heat that can start a fire. Here are some curated tips for how to safely operate these home generators and avoid costly damage and personal injuries:
Tips For Safely Using Generators
- Never use generators indoors or in places such as the basement, crawlspace, garage, and carport to prevent CO poisoning. WARNING: opening up windows or doors is not enough to prevent CO buildup in the home.
- Install battery-operated CO alarms in your home for extra protection against CO poisoning. Remember, CO can’t be seen or smelled. Only a CO alarm can detect it.
- Place them outside, in a well-ventilated place, and away from doors, windows, and vents that could allow CO to come indoors.
- Keep them dry and never use them under wet conditions to avoid an electrical shock. If you have wet hands, do not touch operating generators.
- Keep generators on a dry surface and under a structure, such as a tarp held up on poles, to protect them from rain or snow.
- Plug appliances directly into the generator or use an outdoor-rated extension cord. Check the cord for cuts or tears and that the plug has all three prongs.
- Check the manufacturer’s rating for the total electric load supported by the generator. Be sure not to exceed the specified rating.
- Make sure to them turn off and allow them to cool down before refueling to avoid any risk of fire.
- Use the type of fuel specified on the generator’s instructions—store fuel in a container that is intended to be used for this purpose.
- Keep the container in a protected area outside of living spaces. Be careful not to place the container near appliances that produce heat.
Contact Your Local PuroClean Office For Fire and Smoke Restoration Services
Using electronics safely is a major aspect of preventing fires in your home. But if a fire does break out on your property, don’t panic. Contact your local PuroClean office for professional fire, water, and mold restoration services.