Roof Maintenance Checklist for the Fall
To prolong the life of your roof and ensure water doesn’t leak through, your home’s roof should be inspected twice a year. Once in late spring, and once during the fall. So don’t prepare for Halloween just yet – make sure you do the following roof maintenance tasks first:
- Trim the trees. Dead tree limbs can fall on your roof and cause damage, especially when it’s raining or snowing. Trees that are leaning towards your house could also fall on your roof or allow squirrels and raccoons to pay your roof a visit. Twigs, leaves, and other debris can cause rotting, gutter blockage, termite invasion, and roof damage. If you want to avoid these problems, remove overhanging branches and ensure that trees aren’t leaning towards your home.
- Check and clean the gutters. One of the best ways to prepare for the cold season is to clean your gutters and ensure they’re well-anchored. This allows rainwater and thawed snow to flow properly off your roofline, avoiding leaks and water damage to your home. So remove leaves and other debris from the gutters regularly throughout the fall. In addition to this, install gutter guards – these ward off any debris that would invade your gutters.
- Inspect the roof for damage:
- Check the roof flashings – these cover gaps near vents and chimneys, and can be dislocated during a storm. Replace faulty flashing pieces.
- If you have an asphalt roof, replace shingles that have bare spots, are warping, or are curling at the edges.
- If you own a wooden shake roof, look for signs of warping. If at least 25 percent of your wood shingles are damaged, replace the roofing material.
- If you have a metal roof, look for signs of pitting, corrosion or gapping seams as these can lead to leaks or underlay damage.
- Get a professional roof inspection if you feel you’re not up to the task yourself. Your roof might need adjustment and repairs. Do them now, don’t wait another winter!
Got leaks in your roof? Check out how to handle roof leaks. For mold remediation service and flood water damage repair, contact your local PuroClean office.
is a leading commercial and residential restoration franchising company. Founded in 2001, the company offers fire and water cleanup and restoration services, mold mitigation and remediation, and biohazard cleanup and removal throughout the United States and Canada through its franchise network of 240 offices. Learn more.