How to Remove Musty Smells from Carpet
Musty-smelling carpets are both unpleasant and dangerous. Not only do they make your home smell unpleasant, but they may also pollute your indoor air with mold spores. The good news is that, unless your home has been flooded, getting rid of musty smells from carpets is relatively simple. Here are several ways to neutralize odors from your carpet:
- First, make sure the area is dry. A musty odor indicates a water problem so your carpet must have been moist or wet before it became musty. If you have water damage, fix it then dry the area completely – open windows and use dehumidifiers and fans if necessary. If your home was recently flooded, hire a professional restoration company and learn whether or not your carpet can be saved after a flood.
- Once the water problem is fixed and the carpet is dry, vacuum the carpet to remove dust and help the odor dissipate faster. Use a large vacuum cleaner to remove more dust.
- Treat your carpet with a mixture of one cup of white vinegar and two cups of warm water. Use a spray bottle to gently mist over the carpet. Be careful to not oversaturate it as increased moisture can lead to mold growth.
- Pour a copious amount of baking soda – an amazing odor neutralizer – on the carpet. Don’t worry, baking soda is safe for people and pets and does not damage your carpet.
- Wait a while for the natural deodorizers to take effect. The more you let the vinegar solution and baking soda sit, the better. Wait at least a few hours or leave it overnight for the best results.
- Another way to remove musty smells from your carpet is to use hydrogen peroxide. Mix five parts water with one part hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle, then apply the solution to the back of the carpet. This will help neutralize the mold spores and odor.
- Alternatively, you can use a foam carpet shampoo. First, vacuum the carpet, then apply the shampoo using a sponge – this ensures you don’t oversaturate the carpet. Finally, let the carpet dry, then vacuum it again.
- If the odor still persists, repeat the process using the method you prefer.
If none of your efforts are successful, have your carpet cleaned by a professional restoration company such as PuroClean. We provide advanced carpet cleaning, water removal, and mold restoration services to get your home smelling fresh again.