The holidays are a time of warmth and celebrations, so it’s no surprise that pet owners want to involve their furry friends in the festivities. But amidst the fun, some holiday traditions can pose significant risks to your animal companions. That’s why it’s crucial to follow some pet safety tips to ensure they stay safe and happy throughout the holidays. By keeping an eye on what they eat, securing hazardous decorations, and providing them with a quiet haven away from the noise, you can ensure they can experience the holiday atmosphere without any danger.
Pet Safety Tips to Know This Holiday Season
- Clean up the fallen Christmas tree needles regularly, as they can be very sharp and easily get stuck in your pet’s paws, fur, or throat.
- Securely anchor your Christmas tree so it doesn’t tip and fall, causing possible injury to your pet. Change the tree water regularly, as stagnant water is a breeding ground for bacteria, and your pet could experience nausea or diarrhea should they drink it.
- Opt for just-as-jolly artificial plants made from silk or plastic, or choose a pet-safe bouquet, as mistletoe, lilies, poinsettias, and hibiscus can be poisonous to pets.
- Protect electric cords and tree lights so your pets can’t chew them.
- Use appropriate candle holders placed on a stable surface. Don’t leave lit candles unattended. Pets may burn themselves or cause a fire if they knock burning candles over.
- Avoid using tinsel. If an animal swallows tinsel, it can lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, and dehydration. Surgery might be required to remove it.
- Remove any wrapping paper off the floor to avoid your pet chewing it or getting suffocated by it.
- Place unattended alcoholic drinks where pets cannot get to them. If ingested, your pet could become ill and may even go into a coma, possibly resulting in death from respiratory failure.
- If you have guests over, give your pet their own quiet space to escape, with fresh water and a place to snuggle. Shy pups and cats might want to hide under furniture, in their carrier, or in a separate room away from the commotion.
- Finally, remember that pets are for life, so never give pets as surprise gifts. If someone is considering getting a new pet, give the new prospective owner a variety of dog toys, food, or books on dog care.
Don’t Let Property Damage Ruin Your Holidays! Contact PuroClean North Metro Atlanta
Property damage can interrupt your holiday season! When emergencies happen, PuroClean North Metro Atlanta is here to help. With experience in property damage restoration in Atlanta, our professionals are always ready to help restore your home or business to pre-damage condition quickly and efficiently. Our team is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, even during the holiday season, because we know that disasters can happen at any moment. So, leave the restoration work to us and give us a call at (770) 720-2320 today!