Hurricane season is here and many U.S. areas, particularly the south and east, are at risk of being hit by a hurricane. Now is the time for property owners to reduce damage to their property.
With wind speeds exceeding 150 mph and extreme rainfall, major hurricanes cause catastrophic damage, but securing and reinforcing your property can have a significant impact on reducing loses. Here are some essential tips to protect your home from a hurricane.
BEFORE THE STORM
- Insurance – Regular homeowners insurance does not cover flooding resulting from natural events. Be sure your home is covered properly. Flood insurance takes 30 days to go into effect, purchase as soon as possible to ensure coverage.
- Home Inventory – make a list or use an inventory app. Supplement the lists with photos and video clips of all household items.
- Important Documents – make photocopies of all important documents and store them in your emergency kit or a secure, offsite location.
- Secure Property – Cover windows, prune trees, keep gutters clean, reinforce roof and garage doors, bring all outdoor items in, learn how to shut off utilities, invest in a generator.
AFTER THE STORM
- Secure Home – tarp damaged roof and walls, ensure it is safe to enter first.
- Photos – take photos and videos of all damage. Entire rooms and individual items. Be descriptive. Document everything.
- Cleanup – begin clean up as soon as possible to prevent further damage. Insurance companies can be overwhelmed with the volume of calls and most expect homeowners to begin the restoration process.
- Insurance – keep in touch with your insurance company and apply for FEMA assistance if needed.
HOW CAN PUROCLEAN HELP?
- Demolition of Affected Areas
- Water Extraction
- Structural Drying
- Loss Containment
- Board-up & Property Protection
- Contents Cleaning
- Content Inventory & Storage
- Mold Removal
Hurricane damage cleanup can be a huge undertaking which should be done by a professional restoration company like PuroClean. No matter the size of the task, we have the equipment and experience necessary to provide full hurricane response services to residential, as well as commercial and industrial customers.