When sewer lines become obstructed, the thick, black water that forms as sewage is a health risk, and is tremendously unsanitary as it consists of contaminants like pathogens, bacteria, and viruses that may pose a risk of severe illness if exposed to humans or pets. If you have a sewer backed up in your basement, or your toilet backs up, you will need to repair it quickly, or you will end up with dirty water all over your home or business. Knowing the cause of sewer backups, however, may help you prevent a hazardous situation in your basement, home or business. Following is a list of items that may help to prevent and handle sewage backups:
Our procedures for Category 3 water (also known as sewer and contaminated water backup) cleanup, following the IICRC industry guidelines, consists of:
1. Ensure the safety of all personnel and non-personnel by managing onsite access to restoration personnel only to prevent health-related issues
2. Health and Safety checks and assessment of the workplace.
3. Ensure all remediation employees are supplied with and use the required personal protection equipment (PPE). This includes, but isn’t limited to the following:
4. Implement established engineering controls, critical barriers, to prevent cross-contamination.
5. Removing any type of probable safety risks if at all possible.
6. Disposal, removal of bulk flooding, soil, and contaminates.
7. Getting rid of any and all porous and semi-porous contaminated materials that are unable to be salvaged, which includes but is not limited to:
8. Implement cleaning procedures and use of EPA registered biocides and antimicrobials
9. Full physical cleaning of all structure items that remain
10. We recommend using a third-party Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) to implement clearance testing to ensure the property is returned to a sanitary pre-loss state for health and safety.
11. All materials affected by excess waters are to be dried and returned to pre-loss dry condition
12. All equipment used on the project to be cleaned after restoration completion
13. All materials from demolition process removed completely
Reach out to the PuroClean specialists for sewage removal, cleaning and remediation. Whether it’s from a clogged toilet, flood waters or sewage drain backups to take care of the problem for your dwelling. PuroClean uses the latest, state-of-the-art equipment and cleaning systems to completely and efficiently clean and restore all affected items and structures.
The sheer value of our sewer water removal and cleaning services, along with the speed in which we deliver the work, as well as our empathy demonstrated throughout the process helps make PuroClean your preferred damage remediation and restoration firm. We strive to do everything that’s needed and within our power to restore and rescue properties in all the towns and cities that make up our service areas.
*Not all PuroClean offices provide sewage cleanup and sanitation cleaning services.
“Coronavirus” is an umbrella term for many types of viruses. This group of viruses has been known for decades and can cause respiratory diseases in both people and animals. What [...]
Biohazards are any biological contaminants such as those found in sewage, mold, or any viral or bacterial contamination such as MRSA. Biohazards also include toxins found in decaying organisms, as well as [...]
When a biohazard occurs, professionals are needed to clean and disinfect as improper treatment can spread contamination and lead to illness or life-threatening conditions. [...]
As of March 17, 2020, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) does not have information specifically regarding how pregnant women are reacting to COVID-19 exposure. However, it should be noted [...]
There is currently no evidence that household pets can be infected with or transmit the Coronavirus. However, the CDC recommends having limited contact with household pets and other animals until [...]