When sewer lines become obstructed, the thick, black water that forms as sewage is a health hazard, and is extremely unsanitary as it contains contaminants like pathogens, bacteria, and viruses that can present a risk of severe illness if exposed to people or pets. If you have a sewage backup in your basement, or your toilet has backed up, you will need to repair it quickly, or you will end up with dirty water all over your home or business. Knowing the cause of sewer backups, however, may help you avoid a hazardous occurrence in your basement, home or business. Following is a list of items that may help to prevent and handle sewage backups:
Our process for cleaning and remediation of Category 3 water, also known as sewer and contaminated water backup clean up according to the IICRC industry standards, is as follows:
1. Ensure all personnel and occupants stay safe by restricting access to the site to remediation employees only in order to prevent any health-related problems.
2. Valuation of the work place along with health and safety reviews.
3. Be confident that all restoration specialists are equipped with the correct personal protection equipment (PPE). This includes but is not limited to:
4. Use established engineering controls, critical barriers, to prevent cross-contamination.
5. Completely getting rid of any potential safety risks if possible.
6. Removal of bulk water, soil, and contaminates.
7. Disposal of all contaminated porous and semi-porous materials that are not able to be saved, which can be but are not limited to:
8. Implement cleaning processes and use of EPA certified biocides and antimicrobials
9. Physical cleaning of all remaining structures
10. A third-party Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) is recommended to perform clearance testing, to ensure the building is returned to a pre-loss condition for health and safety.
11. Drying of all items affected by the sewer water intrusion back to pre-loss dry state
12. Post remediation cleansing of all equipment used
13. Disposal of all remaining materials removed from the building
If a sewage drain pipe backup takes place in your home or business, call the PuroClean specialists for sewage removal and cleaning services. Our technicians use state-of-the-art equipment and cleaning systems to efficiently remediate the damaged structures and contents.
PuroClean has proved time after time that our work and our specialists are top quality, efficient, and work with care and compassion for all involved. PuroClean is your ideal damage restoration and cleaning professionals and we pledge to do whatever needs to happen to rescue and restore all homes and businesses in the communities we serve.
*Not all PuroClean offices offer sewage cleanup and sanitation cleaning services.
Biohazards are any biological contaminants such as those found in sewage, mold, or any viral or bacterial contamination such as MRSA. Biohazards also include toxins found in decaying organisms, as well as [...]
When a biohazard occurs, professionals are needed to clean and disinfect as improper treatment can spread contamination and lead to illness or life-threatening conditions. [...]
Bloodborne pathogens (BBPs), as defined by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), means pathogenic microorganisms that are present in human blood and can cause disease in humans. These pathogens [...]
Blood itself is not a biohazard, it’s what may be in the blood that is potentially hazardous, such as bloodborne pathogens (BBPs) or infectious microorganisms, that can cause diseases. [...]
Most homeowners insurance will cover crime scene (biohazard) cleanup. We recommend that you consult your insurance agent/carrier to find out if you can make a claim for your particular circumstance. [...]