As we know, hurricanes are natural disasters, the likes of which can be devastating. In the past, we have provided you with information that can be useful for the moments before and after a storm hits. So, now we want to discuss what to do while the storm is still ongoing. These are the moments when circumstances are most destructive and personal safety is put at high risk. So, when a hurricane is hitting your area, follow these guidelines to help you and your family stay safe.
Crucial Safety Tips To Follow During a Hurricane
- Monitor miamidade.gov, your radio or television for weather updates and instructions from public safety officials.
- Stay indoors, preferably in a room with no windows.
- Take your emergency disaster kit and disaster supplies with you if you move from room to room, or choose to evacuate.
- If flooding threatens your home, turn off the electricity at the main breaker.
- Because electricity can move through outside wires, avoid using corded phones during the storm.
- If the power goes out, use a flashlight, not candles or kerosene lamps as your light source.
- Additionally, lightning can travel through plumbing, so avoid showering or bathing during the storm.
- Keep children informed of what’s going on, and look for signs of stress.
- If you lose power, turn off all major appliances.
- Get inside the bathtub and cover yourself with a mattress to protect yourself from debris if your home begins to come apart in the storm.
- Keep animals in their carriers or crates.
- Do not go outside during the eye of the storm. The calm might be brief before the hurricane force winds resume.
Contact PuroClean of Aventura for Emergency Restoration Following a Hurricane
PuroClean of Aventura is ready to help after a hurricane with water damage restoration services. If your home or business suffered from damage from the storm, call us at (305) 907-7373 for quick and responsive assistance.