When sewer lines become blocked, the thick, black water that forms as sewage is a health risk, and is extremely unsanitary as it consists of contaminants like pathogens, bacteria, and viruses that may pose a risk of severe illness if exposed to people or pets. If you have a sewer backed up in your basement, or your toilet has backed up, you will need to fix it quickly, or you will end up with sewage all over your floors. Knowing the cause of sewer backups, however, may help you prevent a hazardous occurrence in your basement, home or business. Here’s a list of items that may help to prevent and handle sewage backups:
Our process for cleaning and restoration of Category 3 water, aka sewer and contaminated water backup clean up according to the IICRC industry standards, is as follows:
1. Ensure the safety of all personnel and occupants by managing onsite access to restoration personnel only to prevent health-related dangers
2. Assessment of the work place along with health and safety surveys.
3. Ensure all remediation personnel are supplied with the proper personal protection equipment (PPE). This can include but is not limited to:
4. Establish engineering controls, critical barriers if suitable to prevent cross-contamination.
5. Preventing all potential dangers and safety risks if possible.
6. Bulk water, soil, and contaminates removal
7. Remove and dispose of all contaminated porous and semi-porous materials that are not able to be restored, which could include but is not limited to:
8. Implement cleaning procedures and use of EPA certified biocides and antimicrobials
9. Full physical cleaning of all structure items that remain
10. A third-party Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) is recommended to perform clearance testing, to ensure the building is returned to a pre-loss condition for health and safety.
11. All materials affected by excess waters are to be dried and returned to pre-loss dry condition
12. All equipment used on the project to be cleaned after restoration completion
13. All demo materials removed from the building
PuroClean technicians put to use state-of-the-art equipment and cleaning procedures to effectively restore and clean the affected building materials and items from your home or business. If a sewage drain pipe backup from blockage happens, call our highly trained staff for sewage removal and cleaning services.
The professional nature of PuroClean’s sewage removal and cleaning services, the expeditious way in which we deliver them, and the kindness we demonstrate throughout the entire process make PuroClean your perfect damage restoration and remediation company. We promise to do whatever it takes to restore and rescue properties in all the neighborhoods we serve.
*Not all PuroClean offices provide sewage cleanup and sanitation cleaning services.
Biohazards are any biological contaminants such as those found in sewage, mold, or any viral or bacterial contamination such as MRSA. Biohazards also include toxins found in decaying organisms, as well as [...]
When a biohazard occurs, professionals are needed to clean and disinfect as improper treatment can spread contamination and lead to illness or life-threatening conditions. [...]
Bloodborne pathogens (BBPs), as defined by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), means pathogenic microorganisms that are present in human blood and can cause disease in humans. These pathogens [...]
Blood itself is not a biohazard, it’s what may be in the blood that is potentially hazardous, such as bloodborne pathogens (BBPs) or infectious microorganisms, that can cause diseases. [...]
Most homeowners insurance will cover crime scene (biohazard) cleanup. We recommend that you consult your insurance agent/carrier to find out if you can make a claim for your particular circumstance. [...]