When sewer lines become obstructed, the thick, black water that forms as sewage is a health hazard, and is extremely unsanitary as it consists of contaminants such as pathogens, bacteria, and viruses that may pose a risk of severe illness if exposed to people or pets. If you have a sewage backup in your basement, or your toilet has backed up, you will need to repair it quickly, or you will end up with dirty water all over your home or business. Knowing what causes sewer backups, however, may help you avoid a hazardous situation in your basement, home or business. Following is a list of items that may help to prevent and handle sewage backups:
PuroClean’s process for cleaning and restoration of Category 3 water, aka sewer and contaminated water backup clean up according to the IICRC industry standards, is as follows:
1. Ensure all employees and occupants remain safe by restricting access to the site to restoration employees only in order to guard against any health-related issues.
2. Health and Safety survey and assessment of the entire work premises.
3. Be confident that all restoration workers are equipped with the appropriate personal protection equipment (PPE). This includes but is not limited to:
4. Institute engineering controls, firm barriers if suitable to prevent cross-contamination.
5. Eradicating any type of probable safety risks if at all possible.
6. Disposal, removal of bulk sewage water, soil, and contaminates.
7. Disposal of all contaminated porous and semi-porous materials that are not salvageable, which can consist of but are not limited to:
8. Implement cleaning methods and use of EPA certified biocides and antimicrobials
9. Full physical cleaning of all structure items that remain
10. A clearance test by a third-party Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) is recommended to ensure the building is returned to a pre-affected condition for health and safety.
11. Drying of all materials affected by the water intrusion back to pre-loss dry state
12. Post restoration cleaning of all tools and machinery used
13. Elimination and disposal of all demo materials removed from the site
If a sewage drain line backup happens in your home or business, reach out to the PuroClean professionals for sewage removal and cleaning services. Our employees use state-of-the-art equipment and cleaning systems to efficiently remediate the damaged building materials and contents.
We have proved time after time that our services and our specialists are top quality, efficient, and work with care and empathy for all involved. We are your ideal damage restoration and cleaning specialists and we pledge to do whatever needs to take place to rescue and restore all homes and businesses in the communities we serve.
*Not all PuroClean offices offer sewage cleanup and sanitation cleaning services.
"Brenden and his friendly team really saved us after Hurricane Ian when our daughter’s house was flooded. We were not able to find anyone in our area to do the mitigation work, and when we [...]
Celeste Caudill: Brenden and his crew cleaned up an awful mess quickly. Communication throughout the whole process was great which is pretty rare these days. Very happy and so thankful the mess and [...]
Blood itself is not a biohazard, it’s what may be in the potentially hazardous blood, such as bloodborne pathogens (BBPs) or infectious microorganisms, that can cause diseases. [...]
As of March 17, 2020, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) does not have information specifically regarding how pregnant women are reacting to COVID-19 exposure. However, it should be noted [...]
Bloodborne pathogens (BBPs), as defined by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), means pathogenic microorganisms that are present in human blood and can cause disease in humans. These pathogens [...]
As with any virus, the Coronavirus spreads when an infected person coughs or sneezes, and any respiratory droplets come in contact with another person. Keeping a good distance from infected [...]
“Coronavirus” is an umbrella term for many types of viruses. This group of viruses has been known for decades and can cause respiratory diseases in both people and animals. What [...]