When sewer lines become obstructed, the thick, black water that forms as sewage is a health hazard, and is extremely unsanitary as it consists of contaminants such as pathogens, bacteria, and viruses that may pose a risk of severe illness if exposed to people or pets. If you have a sewage backup in your basement, or your toilet has backed up, you will need to repair it quickly, or you will end up with dirty water all over your home or business. Knowing what causes sewer backups, however, may help you avoid a hazardous situation in your basement, home or business. Following is a list of items that may help to prevent and handle sewage backups:
PuroClean’s process for cleaning and restoration of Category 3 water, aka sewer and contaminated water backup clean up according to the IICRC industry standards, is as follows:
1. Ensure all employees and occupants remain safe by restricting access to the site to restoration employees only in order to guard against any health-related issues.
2. Health and Safety survey and assessment of the entire work premises.
3. Be confident that all restoration workers are equipped with the appropriate personal protection equipment (PPE). This includes but is not limited to:
4. Institute engineering controls, firm barriers if suitable to prevent cross-contamination.
5. Eradicating any type of probable safety risks if at all possible.
6. Disposal, removal of bulk sewage water, soil, and contaminates.
7. Disposal of all contaminated porous and semi-porous materials that are not salvageable, which can consist of but are not limited to:
8. Implement cleaning methods and use of EPA certified biocides and antimicrobials
9. Full physical cleaning of all structure items that remain
10. A clearance test by a third-party Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) is recommended to ensure the building is returned to a pre-affected condition for health and safety.
11. Drying of all materials affected by the water intrusion back to pre-loss dry state
12. Post restoration cleaning of all tools and machinery used
13. Elimination and disposal of all demo materials removed from the site
If a sewage drain line backup happens in your home or business, reach out to the PuroClean professionals for sewage removal and cleaning services. Our employees use state-of-the-art equipment and cleaning systems to efficiently remediate the damaged building materials and contents.
We have proved time after time that our services and our specialists are top quality, efficient, and work with care and empathy for all involved. We are your ideal damage restoration and cleaning specialists and we pledge to do whatever needs to take place to rescue and restore all homes and businesses in the communities we serve.
*Not all PuroClean offices offer sewage cleanup and sanitation cleaning services.
"Puroclean responded right away and was on site promptly. They communicated every step of the way through the whole process, keeping me informed of everything they were doing and what to expect. If I [...]
"I had a hot water tank leak and it flooded my master suite area. The technicians were very kind and were also considerate of the stress that I was enduring. I thought everything was ruined. They [...]
Lakewood Ranch FL
Biohazards are any biological contaminants such as those found in sewage, mold, or any viral or bacterial contamination such as MRSA. Biohazards also include toxins found in decaying organisms, as well as [...]
When a biohazard occurs, professionals are needed to clean and disinfect as improper treatment can spread contamination and lead to illness or life-threatening conditions. [...]
Bloodborne pathogens (BBPs), as defined by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), means pathogenic microorganisms that are present in human blood and can cause disease in humans. These pathogens [...]
Blood itself is not a biohazard, it’s what may be in the potentially hazardous blood, such as bloodborne pathogens (BBPs) or infectious microorganisms, that can cause diseases. [...]
Insurance policies have many variables, while Crime Scene or Biohazard cleanup is often covered it is very important that you consult your insurance broker or agent to determine your specific [...]