PuroClean Emergency Services
24/7 Emergency Response (937)401-9700
Prepare Your Home for Winter
Cold weather is here and it will only continue to become colder with snow, ice and below freezing temperatures. With these cold weather woes coming on, it’s important to prepare and keep your home safe and sound. Use these tips when preparing your home for winter:
- Clean out your gutters: Now that many leaves have fallen, it’s easy to clean gutters and make sure they won’t get clogged when snow and ice come. This also helps prevent ice-damning.
- Disconnect outside hoses: Disconnect the outside hose – the water left in the hose can freeze and cause water in the pipes to crack and leak back into the house.
- Shut off outside water: If possible shut off to the outside, that way no water can get in even if the hose is disconnected.
- Roof inspection: Have your roof inspected by a professional to repair any shingles that might be lose and repair rood leaks or flashing concerns.
- Fireplace inspection: Have your fireplace inspected and cleaned by a professional; keep flue closed when not in use.
- Furnace maintenance: Have your furnace repair company perform a basic maintenance check. Replace furnace filters on a regular basis – dirt is the main cause for furnace malfunction. Keep yourself warm this winter!
- Smoke detector: Check to make sure all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in working condition and replace batteries if needed. Keep extra batteries around in case they happen to stop working or disappear!
- Space heaters: Be cautious when using space heaters; make sure they have been cleaned and well maintained. Keep space heaters away from any potential fire hazard such as draperies and blankets.