It’s Halloween and the Trick-or-Treaters are excited put their costumes on and fill their pumpkins with candy! Here are some easy tips to stay safe on Halloween night:
- Plan costumes that are bright and reflective. Make sure that shoes fit well and that costumes are short enough to prevent tripping, entanglement or contact with flames. *Consider adding reflective tape or striping to costumes, carry a flashlight and use glow sticks.
- Masks can limit or block eyesight. Consider non-toxic makeup and decorative hats as safer alternatives. Hats should fit properly so they don’t slide over eyes. Makeup should be tested ahead of time on a small patch of skin to make sure there are no unpleasant surprises on the big day.
- When shopping for costumes, wigs and accessories, look for and purchase those with a label clearly indicating they are flame resistant.
- If a sword, cane, or stick is a part of your child’s costume, make sure it is not sharp or long. A child may be easily hurt by these accessories if they stumble or trip.
- Review with children how to call 9-1-1 (or their local emergency number) if they have an emergency or become lost.
- Plan a route with your children of where they will be going that night. If they are going with a group make sure they check in with you every hour or so to let you know that they are okay and where they are at.
- Use the buddy system. Children should trick-or-treat in groups, not alone.
**Pumpkin Hack: Coat your pumpkin with Vaseline (petroleum jelly) after it’s carved to keep it hydrated for several days.
Contact your local PuroClean office for any emergency jobs that may arise during the Halloween season. Contact us at 937-401-9700.