It’s Fire Prevention Safety Week,so take the time to talk to your work faqmily about fire safety. There are ways to prevent fires in the workplace, there are also ways to react when a fire happens.
Fire Prevention in the Workplace:
- Electrical Safety – Almost 40% of workplace fires are caused by electrical failures. Check electrical cords periodically; have damaged wire serviced or replaced.
- Power Outlets – Make sure that power outlets are not overloaded with too many cords; plugs should fit the outlet.
- Emergency Exits – Learn the escape routes and exits in the building. All emergency routes and exits should be unobstructed and property lit.
- Fire and Smoke Alarms – Management should ensure that smoke detectors and fire alarms are inspected and tested regularly.
- Fire Extinguishers – Must be current on their inspections. Employees should be trained on how to use fire extinguishers. https://www.puroclean.com/blog/how-do-i-use-a-fire-extinguisher-safely/
- Fire Drills – Regular fire drills should be performed at the workplace and there should be an evacuation procedure in place. Evacuation routes should be clearly posted.
- If a Fire Breaks Out – Sound the alarm to alert other employees.
- Call 911 – Give them the information they need and don’t hang up until the emergency responder tells you to.
- If the Fire is Small – You may attempt to extinguish it with a fire extinguisher. However, if the fire cannot be controlled by a fire extinguisher, evacuate immediately.
- Close Doors Behind You – When exiting the building close doors to help prevent the fire from spreading.
- Never use an Elevator – Depending on the magnitude of the fire, elevators may shut down mid-transit due to electrical damage.
- Learn Basic First Aid Skills – After the evacuation, help any employees who may have been injured either by the flames or smoke inhalation.
- Once Out, Stay Out – Never go back inside a smoke-filled or burning building.
Contact your local PuroClean office with any questions that you may have. PuroClean can handle fire jobs whether they are residential or commercial, big or small.