After a water-related disaster, or even when there is a small leak on your roof, the chances for mold to grow in your home are significantly high. Mold is associated with all sorts of health and structural problems, so removing it immediately should be a priority. Read on to learn why you should clean the mold in your home as soon as you notice it:
There are over 100,000 species of mold, and all of them can be harmful. Even nontoxic molds can make you sick; in fact, they are most likely to affect you, since they are more common.
Exposure to mold can cause over 30 health problems, including asthma and other respiratory illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease. Mold can also make a respiratory illness worse through repeated exposure.
Sensitive individuals can develop allergic reactions by touching or inhaling mold spores. Symptoms include headaches, sneezing, skin rash, runny nose and red eyes.
In some cases, exposure to mold can cause chronic sinus infections. Even if the exposure to mold wasn’t the primary cause for the infection, those who suffer from chronic sinusitis should avoid any contact with mold to prevent further complications.
In a study by The American Journal of Public Health, the results have shown that mold in homes is linked to depression.
Mold can grow on any organic surface: wood, sheet rock, cloth, dry wall, carpets, etc. Thus, almost all surfaces in your home are under the risk of mold growth if there is a moisture source present.
A spot of mold will grow larger and larger (if the water problem isn’t fixed) until professional mold restoration services are required. Act fast when you see mold in your home in order to reduce or prevent widespread damage.
Depending on the degree of the infestation, the materials on which mold grows may be restored. However, in most cases, softer materials infected with mold, such as carpets and upholstery, will have to be replaced completely.
Mold on surfaces can also spread to the heating and ventilation system in your home. In this case, professional assistance is required. If the mold can’t be removed thoroughly, the ventilation system may have to be replaced.
If you paint over a mold-infested surface, the mold can eat the paint in just a few months. Mold has to be removed completely before applying a new coat of paint, preferably a mold-resistant type.
This article provides important guidelines on how to prevent mold growth in your home. To learn what to do and what not to do when cleaning mold, follow this link. For professional fire, water and mold restoration services, contact your local PuroClean office.
Known as the “Paramedics of Property Damage®,” PuroClean provides fire and smoke damage remediation, water damage remediation, flood water removal, mold removal, and biohazard cleanup to commercial and residential customers. Founded in 2001, PuroClean has a comprehensive network of more than 300 franchise offices across North America. PuroClean technicians are thoroughly screened, insured, and trained in utilizing the latest in mitigation technology and procedures, while operating under a strict code of ethics. Each PuroClean office is independently owned and operated. For franchise information, visit www.purocleanfranchise.com.
There are many possible reasons why an unpleasant smell lingers in your house. Some smells signal a possible danger, like mold growth or decomposition, which often requires professional cleanup. Others, […]
Mold-sensitive individuals may exhibit allergy symptoms, such as sneezing, runny or stuffy nose, coughing, itchy eyes, wheezing and skin irritation. Moreover, mold can trigger asthmatic symptoms that include coughing, wheezing, […]