Sodium bicarbonate, commonly known as baking soda, is a versatile substance that can be used in cooking, medicine, personal care, and also house cleaning. As a cleaning agent, baking soda has many practical applications. Here are some of the best ways to clean and deodorize contents in homes with baking soda:
1. Deodorizing sink drains – ½ cup of baking soda should be poured down the drain. After waiting one hour, ½ cup of vinegar should also be poured, then the drain can be rinsed with hot water.
2. Removing coffee or tea stains from carpets – a bit of baking soda mixed with a small amount of water should be added on the stain. After a few minutes, the stain can be wiped off with a soft cloth or sponge.
3. Deodorizing the carpet – baking soda should be sprinkled over the carpet and left on for a few minutes, after which it can be vacuumed. The process may be repeated if needed.
4. Deodorizing the litter box – baking soda should be sprinkled in the litter box every time the cat litter is changed. It will help neutralize the odor.
5. Cleaning grout – a paste of half water, half baking soda should be applied to the grout. Once it has stayed on for at least 10 minutes (or 2 hours for very dirty grout), it can be sprayed with water. Finally, the paste should be scrubbed, rinsed and left to dry.
6. Boosting laundry cleaning – ½ cup of baking soda can be added to the usual amount of liquid laundry detergent for one wash. Baking soda helps brighten and deodorize clothing.
7. Removing odors from the fridge – an open box of baking soda should be kept in the fridge to absorb strong food smells efficiently.
8. Cleaning greasy ovens – by spreading a mix of 5 tablespoons of baking soda, 4 tablespoons of white vinegar and 5 drops of liquid detergent over the oven. After waiting for 15 or more minutes, the grease can be scrubbed away with a sponge.
9. Putting out grease fires – quickly pouring baking soda on a grease fire will extinguish it safely most of the time.
10. Cleaning silverware – a paste of 3 parts baking soda and 1 part water should be spread over the silverware. After a few minutes, it can be rinsed with warm water and dried with a soft cloth.
More information about removing household odors can be found here and tips for keeping indoor air fresh are available in this article. The PuroClean team stands ready to provide professional restoration services to any property affected by fire, water or mould damage.