Backup (or standby) electrical generators provide power to a home during a power outage. When the utility power is cut off, a backup generator can immediately supply power to your home, either automatically or manually, depending on the device. While backup generators are costly, they can save you thousands or more dollars’ worth of damages and give you peace of mind. Here are five main benefits of backup generators:
1. Food Preservation – If the power is out for less than four hours, the food in your fridge should be safe. However, if it’s longer than that, foods like meat and eggs get spoiled. A backup generator provides power to your fridge and prevents food from spoiling.
2. HVAC system – Severe storms can cause lasting power surges in your area, compromising your home’s heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system. A backup generator can prevent uncomfortable temperatures in your home.
3. Sump pump – When flooding or other disasters hit your home, your main defense against the water is your sump pump. But if there’s no electricity powering it, your home and your bank account will suffer the consequences. Install a standby generator to avoid tremendous losses due to water damage.
4. Frozen pipes – During a power outage in winter, there won’t be enough heat to warm up the plumbing system in your home. Pipes can thus freeze and burst, causing substantial water damage and costly repairs.
5. Hotel stays and looting – Power outages can force you to check into a hotel for several days. In addition to hotel costs, your home might be an easy target for looters who try to take advantage of the power outage.
Portable electrical generators are similar to standby generators, but can also be useful during power outages. However, they are not as safe, efficient, and reliable. If you want a whole-house backup power source, choose a standby generator, but expect to pay a lot more for the device and installation.
For water damage repair, mold cleaning, and fire remediation services, contact your local PuroClean office.