Follow These Tips to Prevent Spring Thaw Flooding
Spring is notorious for its unpredictable weather. The combination of heavy rains and rapid snow thaw can result in a severe home flooding. Here are vital tips to prepare your home for the spring thaw and prevent water damage:
Spring Thaw Water Damage Prevention Tips
- Remove snow around your house with a shovel so that thawed snow will drain away from your home. Also, remove obstructions or debris that could prevent water from being carried away from your house.
- Check your home’s drainage. Ensure that flood drains outside your house are not obstructed by debris. Check that the floor drains in your home are unobstructed as well. A roof should be open and flow freely.
- Maintain gutters and downspouts. Backed-up gutters and downspouts are likely to cause overflows and flooding. Remove debris, ice, and snow from gutters and downspouts so water can freely move away from your home.
- Inspected your roof to ensure that it is prepared for storms and will keep water out of your house.
- Install water alarm and flood sensors if your home is prone to flooding. These devices are designed to send an alert when they detect unwanted water in the home.
- Elevate items in the basement. Relocate sensitive items, such as documents or electronics, to the upper levels of your home. If you can’t move items from the basement, move them off the ground and onto shelves or pallets.
- Install a sump pump in the basement. Sump pumps protect your basement from flooding by removing excess water around your home’s foundation, transporting it safely outside. If you already have a sump pump, make sure it is clean, and the intake valve is clear. Test the sump pump to ensure it’s in proper condition.
- Purchase flood insurance ahead of time. Most homeowners’ policies do not include flood damage, so it’s important to purchase this protection separately. However, make the call today as flood insurance becomes effective 30 days after the date of purchase.
Contact Your Local PuroClean for Water Damage Remediation Services
Check out more tips to prevent home flooding in this article and how to prevent basement flooding here. For flood water damage repair and mold remediation service, contact your local PuroClean office.