Over time, roofs weaken due to exposure to the elements, making roof leaks almost inevitable. Unfortunately, leaking roofs lead to water damage and mold growth if they are not repaired within 24 to 48 hours of the water intrusion.
Tips To Help Mitigate Roof Leaks
Minimize interior water damage
- Move any items that might get damaged by water, such as furniture, electronics, and valuables to a dry area. Cover furniture with plastic sheets if you cannot move it.
- Place a bucket under the leak to collect the water. If the water is splashing into the bucket and onto the floor, pin a piece of string to the ceiling to let the water travel down the string into the bucket.
- Water leaks may cause paint on the ceiling to bubble or blister. In this case, take a small pin and puncture a hole in the paint to release the water in the area.
Locate and repair the leak
- If you have access to your attic, trace the water path in the attic to find the source of the leak. Look for water marks, stains or discolorations on the wood made by moisture.
- Be aware that the point where the water is leaking into the interior does not necessarily indicate the location of the crack in the roof. Water may travel down trusses and beams from the entry point on the roof until it enters a weak spot on the attic floor, causing a leak in the interior.
- Note the many causes of leaky roofs, such as old moisture barriers, deteriorated shingles or pipe flashing, missing flashing, caps or shingles, or clogged gutters and downspouts.
- Have your roof inspected and your gutters and downspouts cleaned twice a year to help prevent roof leaks and structural water damage.
- Contact a professional roof inspection and repair company if you are not comfortable doing the above tasks.
Call PuroClean for Water Damage Restoration Services
Repairing roof leaks often requires the services of trained professionals so it’s best to hire a certified contractor. It’s also important to act quickly when you have a leaky roof to prevent water damage and mold growth. For mold remediation service and flood water damage repair, contact your local PuroClean office.