How to Prevent Mold Growth in Your Closets
Mold can grow anywhere in homes, including closets. Moisture can accumulate in closets, providing a breeding ground for mold growth. Thus, preventing mold in closets is a matter of keeping the closets dry. Here are some tips to prevent mold from growing in your closets:
- Make sure that clothes are completely dry before storing them in closets. The moisture in clothing can accelerate mold growth.
- Store only clean clothing and items in closets as dirt and other organic substances are potential food sources for mold.
- Don’t pack clothes or other items too tightly in closets. Allow air to circulate between them to reduce moisture.
- Avoid storing clothes in sealed containers like plastic tubs. Keep them in breathable packaging like a cotton sheet.
- Don’t store items on the closet floor to prevent trapping moisture underneath them.
- Choose plastic-coated wire shelves instead of solid shelves to improve air circulation.
- Leave closets open when possible. Replace solid closet doors with louvered doors for better air circulation.
- Avoid opening closets if they are in rooms with high humidity, particularly when producing moisture (e.g., showering or cooking).
- Place a low-wattage light bulb in closets, at a safe distance from clothes or other flammable items. Leave the light on for several hours. The heat from the bulb helps keep the closet and the clothing dry.
- Empty, clean, and dry closets thoroughly on occasion. Doing so ensures you keep them fresh and aired out, reducing the possibility of mold growth.
- If you have a humidity problem in your home, use the air conditioning unit or a dehumidifier to remove excess moisture from the air.
- If clothes in a closet smell musty, take them out and fix the moisture problem. Learn how to remove musty smell from clothes.
Mold on wood is notoriously difficult to remove. If you have this problem, check out how to remove mold from wood and learn more about where mold grows in homes. Contact your local PuroClean for mold remediation services and water damage repair.