24/7 EMERGENCY RESPONSE 800-775-7876

Get 24/7 Expert Help

800-775-7876

Mold Restoration May 4, 2018

What Is Green Mold and Is It Dangerous?

by PuroClean Editorial Team

Mold comes in many textures and colors, but they all have a few things in common — they grow in moist areas, they feed on organic matter, and can pose a threat to your health. Green mold, in this sense, is no different. Here’s what you should know about green mold that grows in homes.

What is green mold?

Green mold is an umbrella term that refers to different species of fungi that grow in shades of green. It appears as soft and fuzzy or powdery and can have different hues of green. You may have seen green mold on fruits, bread, and many other foods. However, green mold can also grow in wet areas of a home.

Although there are many species of mold that can grow green, the most common are Cladosporium, Aspergillus, and Penicillium.

  • Cladosporium is olive green and thrives in plants in particular, but can also on household surfaces like walls, cabinets, and carpets.
  • Aspergillus is the mold that typically grows on spoiled food like bread. It can also grow on nutrient-poor but moisture-rich environments like the basement.
  • Penicillium is famous for its antibacterial properties and is usually blueish-green. However, it can also emit mycotoxins that are toxic to both people and pets. Penicillium prefers cooler environments like soil, but some are also found on wet items in the home.

However, these molds can grow other colors as well, such blue or black. Thus, testing is the only way to find out which type of mold it is. This is not to say that you should always test the mold in your home to determine whether it’s harmful.

Is green mold dangerous?

Contrary to popular belief, black mold is not the only harmful type of mold for people and pets. While black mold may seem more dangerous, green mold is just as likely to cause health issues.

In fact, all molds – green, black or other colors– can cause health problems, especially to sensitive people. Continuous exposure to mold can affect the respiratory system and trigger asthma attacks and allergens. So yes, if you see green mold, you should remove it as soon as possible.

Green mold can basically grow anywhere in your home where a water problem may occur. Check out how to prevent mold in the crawl spacebasementbathroomlaundry roomattic, as well as in houseplant soil, the HVAC systemclosetscarpets, and washing machines. For mold removal and water damage repair services, contact your local PuroClean office.