The key to preventing mold in laundry room is keeping it dry and clean. Since moisture and a food source (like dirt or cellulose) are the two ingredients of mold formation, keep them at a minimum. Wash your laundry often, dry clothes straightaway, maintain your appliances, and use a dehumidifier. Here’s how to prevent mold in your laundry room in more detail:
Mold in Laundry Room: Prevention Tips
Here are several simple steps you can take to prevent mold from growing in the first place.
- Do your laundry frequently. The dirt or food on your clothes can provide a food source for mold. Moreover, piles of laundry can attract humidity and lead to mold growth. Don’t stack up dirty laundry for days on end!
- Dry washed clothes immediately. Damp clothes can become musty and spread mold spores into the laundry room. Don’t leave clothes inside the washing machine, and avoid storing them in bags made out of plastic.
- Maintain the washer. Keep it as dry as possible, and leave its lid open when not in use. Check for leaks coming from hoses connected to the washer. The washer connections must be properly attached. If your washer overflows, check out how to handle washing machine overflows.
- Maintain the dryer. Remove lint frequently to allow moisture to escape through the vent unobstructed. Removing lint also helps prevent the risk of dryer fires. In addition, make sure the dryer ventilation is correctly directed to the outside.
- Clean appliances regularly. Your washer, dryer, and other machines also need regular cleaning. Follow the cleaning instructions in the manufacturer’s guide. Don’t let moisture, debris, and grime build up on your appliances!
- Use a dehumidifier in the laundry room. This device helps control the amount of moisture in the air. For a mold-free environment, keep the humidity levels between 30 and 50 percent. Note that dehumidifiers help prevent mold, but they don’t actually kill it.
- Properly ventilate the laundry room. The simplest way to ventilate the laundry room is to open windows and doors when the washer and dryer are running. Using a powered fan also helps.
- Place desiccants in the laundry room. Silica gel packets you find in your purchases come in handy, not just for keeping product packages dry. Place some silica gel packets in areas prone to mold growth.
- If your laundry room is in the basement, control the temperature and moisture in the basement. Basements are notorious for mold growth, as leaks are frequent in this area. Check out tips to keep water out of your basement.
Mold in Laundry Room: Removal Tips
Here are some pointers to assist you in getting rid of mold in laundry room:
- Determine the type of mold. Different varieties of mold necessitate different eradication methods. If you are unsure about the sort of mold you are dealing with, it is better to seek the advice of an expert.
- Wear safety clothing. Before you start eradicating mold, make sure you’re wearing protective gear like gloves, goggles, and a mask to avoid breathing mold spores.
- Ventilate the area. While working, open windows and utilize fans to promote ventilation in the room.
- Scrub hard surfaces such as walls, floors, and worktops using a solution such as an industrial mold cleanser. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations and thoroughly rinse the area.
- Dispose of contaminated things. Any mold-infected materials, such as clothing or towels, should be carefully washed or disposed of.
- After cleaning, make sure to completely dry the area to prevent mold from returning. If required, use a dehumidifier or a fan.
- Keep an eye on the situation. Keep an eye out for any symptoms of mold regrowth and repair any moisture issues as soon as possible to prevent future mold growth.
For Expert Mold Removal in Your Laundry Room, Contact the PuroClean Pros!
If you see mold in your laundry room, remove it immediately. Mold spreads rapidly, posing health risks and structural damage. Remember that if you have a large mold problem, you should consult with a professional mold remediation company to ensure that the mold is entirely removed and your house is safe and healthy.
Call PuroClean for professional mold removal. We can remove the mold using professional tools and expertise.