The thought of a dead animal in a home makes most people queasy. Unfortunately, it happens more often than most homeowners realize. If you suspect a dead animal, such as a dead rat or a dead mouse, is somewhere in your house, it’s important to take action quickly. The longer the carcass remains, the higher the risk for disease and the stronger the foul odor will become.
The first step on how to remove dead animal smell is to trace the source. Determining where or what is causing the smell can be tricky, as animals can burrow into crawl spaces and unseen areas, becoming trapped. Once you’ve located the carcass and safely removed it, you may want to consider hiring a professional cleanup company for deodorization service. They’ll be able to properly clean and deodorize the area to prevent any lingering smells.
How to Deodorize Your House From a Dead Animal
If you have recently discovered a dead animal carcass on your property, you may be wondering how to remove dead animal smell. Luckily, there are a few things you can do to deodorize your home and get rid of the dead animal odor for good.
First, be sure to remove the dead carcass as soon as possible. The longer it remains on your property, the more likely it will attract pests and other animals that further spread the odor. Contact your local animal control or waste management department for dead animal removal assistance if you’re having difficulty.
Once the animal has been removed, you can begin taking steps to clear the air in your home. To eliminate the dead animal smell, open the windows and doors to let in the fresh air. You can also turn on fans to help circulate the air.
Next, you will need to thoroughly clean and disinfect any areas where the animal’s dead body was located. This step involves sweeping and mopping floors, cleaning carpets and upholstery, and washing any clothing or bedding that may have come into contact with the animal. Be sure to use a strong disinfectant or bleach solution to kill any bacteria that may be present.
Finally, you can use a commercial odor neutralizer or homemade remedy to eliminate the smell completely. For a natural solution, you can try the following:
- Vinegar is a natural disinfectant and can help absorb odors instead of masking them. To use vinegar to eliminate odors, fill a bowl with vinegar and a few drops of lemon juice and place it in the room that smells the strongest. You can also add a few drops of essential oils to the vinegar to help neutralize the odors. Let the bowl sit overnight.
- Coffee grounds are also an effective tool for absorbing odors. You can use coffee filter packs or coffee grounds that have been lightly dampened with water. Place the coffee in an open container and allow it to sit in the affected area for several hours. You may need to repeat the process several times to thoroughly eliminate the odor.
- Baking soda can come in handy to neutralize unpleasant smells. To use, sprinkle baking soda on the affected area and let it sit for several hours before vacuuming. For best results, repeat as needed until the odor is completely gone.
- Charcoal briquettes are a surprising yet effective method to remove the dead animal smell. Try placing several briquettes in a bowl and place them where the smell is the strongest. You may need to do this for several days to eliminate the smell thoroughly.
- Commercial household products can eliminate the lingering smell. These products work by chemically bonding with the particles that cause the odor, neutralizing them so your nose can no longer detect them. While these products are not always cheap, they are often worth the investment if you want to return your home to its original condition.
These natural odor neutralizers can be found in most homes, so it won’t be hard to find these in your cabinets and drawers. By implementing the steps above, you can be sure foul odors won’t overwhelm your home for long.
Dealing with Unpleasant Smells? Hire a Restoration Company to Get Rid of Dead Animal Odor
Hiring a professional restoration company, such as PuroClean, can assist with safely removing the dead animal smells. A restoration company can also clean and disinfect the area to prevent the spreading of germs and bacteria. Sometimes, you may need to have your HVAC system professionally cleaned if the odor has infiltrated your air ducts. Taking speedy and effective action can help minimize the health risks associated with a dead animal in your home.
The restoration professionals are trained in removing dead animals and will also be able to deodorize your home so that the smell does not linger. A restoration company will also be able to clean and disinfect the area where the animal was found. This will help to prevent any diseases from spreading.
In some cases, a restoration company may also be able to help with repairs if there is damage to your home as a result of the animal.
Call PuroClean for Biohazard Cleaning Services!
For effective and prompt biohazard cleanup, don’t hesitate to contact PuroClean, the leading restoration and remediation company. Our experienced technicians are certified and trained to remove bad odors from residential and commercial properties. PuroClean uses state-of-the-art technology and equipment to remove foul odors and return your property to its pre-loss condition. As “The Paramedics of Property Damage®,” we are available 24/7 to assist you with a biohazard or property damage emergency. Please call (800) 775-7876 to schedule an appointment or visit our website to find your nearest PuroClean office.