Portable ethanol fireplaces have increased in popularity because they don’t release toxic fumes and are generally safe and easy to use. However, if handled poorly, a portable fireplace can cause serious personal injuries, possible damage to your home, or even a major house fire. Here is what you need to know about safely operating portable fireplaces:
Children should never be allowed to handle the device and/or fuel. When lit, keep children and pets at a safe distance from the fireplace.
Place the portable device on a sturdy surface and keep flammable objects at least 4 feet away.
Always use ethanol fuel made for portable fireplaces. Unlike common alcohols, approved bioethanol emits non-toxic gasses when burned.
Before lighting the fireplace, clean up any fuel spillage and allow all liquid to fully evaporate.
To reduce the risk of injury, use long matches or a utility lighter to start the fire.
Never refuel the fireplace while it’s lit. Wait at least 15 minutes for the device to cool down before refueling.
Let the device cool down after use. Don’t move the fireplace while it is burning or hot.
Never leave a lit fireplace unsupervised.
Always put out the flames before you go to sleep, exit the room or leave the house.
Stay safe and enjoy your fireplace! Follow us on Facebook for more safety and prevention tips from PuroClean, The Paramedics of Property Damage.
Known as the “Paramedics of Property Damage®,” PuroClean provides fire and smoke damage remediation, water damage remediation, flood water removal, mold removal, and biohazard cleanup to commercial and residential customers. Founded in 2001, PuroClean has a comprehensive network of more than 300 franchise offices across North America. PuroClean technicians are thoroughly screened, insured, and trained in utilizing the latest in mitigation technology and procedures, while operating under a strict code of ethics. Each PuroClean office is independently owned and operated. For franchise information, visit www.purocleanfranchise.com.