There are over 100,000 species of mold, and all of them can be harmful. While not everyone is affected by
While the dangers of mold to humans are well known, not many people realize that toxic mold can also endanger the health of our pets. Although only a handful of mold species are toxic to people and pets, the most common type – toxic black mold – can bring serious illnesses and even death to people and pets.
Mold spores enter pets’ bodies by inhalation in areas where mold is present. In most cases, mold develops in damp, warm and dark places, usually after a flooding occurred. It may be visible (on the exterior of walls) but it can also hide behind walls and underneath floors, where it’s difficult to detect or remove. If your home has experienced a flood, it’s best to call in a mold remediation company to inspect and eliminate any traces of mold if there are any.
When experiencing mold exposure, pets can exhibit symptoms such as:
Mold can also contaminate pets by ingestion. Spoiled products such as cheese or sour cream may contain mold that releases poisonous chemicals, called mycotoxins. Pets that eat this poisoned food may exhibit muscle spasms or body tremors. Don’t let your pets eat spoiled food and take them to the vet if you notice any of these symptoms.
Tips to keep your pet safe from mold:
The presence of household mold must be taken very seriously, as it can damage your, your family’s and your pet’s health. Contact PuroClean for water damage remediation and mold cleanup services.